Garbage disposal helps to clean your food waste and shreds them into small pieces so that they can easily move through the pipes. They need a little care and maintenance to last longer. The first thing to maintain it properly is to clean the disposal regularly. So how to clean your garbage disposal? If you are too lazy to clean it, then it will be causing technical problems very soon. A garbage disposal helps you to make your kitchen work easier. So it is your duty to give it proper care and to clean it regularly so that it can give you a longer service. It is pretty easy to clean a garbage disposal if you follow these rules properly:
Things you will need to clean your garbage disposal:
- Citrus rinds
- Ice cubes
- Rock salt
- Vinegar cubes
- Tongs or cleaning tools
Image by Getty
- Remove any obstacles before you start cleaning. Remember to turn the switch off before you start working with it. Use any kitchen tool or tongs to remove the obstacles from the sink. If the obstacles are removed, then turn on the switch. Never use your hand to clean the inside of the disposal. If there is no other way, then double check if the switch is off. Else it might turn on and create a very inconvenient accident.
- After removing the solids, take some liquid soap and pour it in the disposal by the sink. Then run cold water and turn on the disposal. It will help to rinse well the walls and the blades. The blades work so fast that the inner walls will be cleaned in no time. If you use this process regularly, then no dirt will be stuck in the disposal. But if things become too sticky, then you have to do a lot more than that.
- Take an old toothbrush to clean the unreachable edges. Sometimes it’s hard to see the inside of the machine, so I would suggest using a flashlight. It will help you to see the dirt and clean it properly. Once you have removed all the dirt with the brush, run cold water through it so it becomes all clear. There are many tools you can buy from the market which will help to clean the disposal properly.
- You also have to clean the grinding elements with the total disposal, because that is the main part. If there is any dirt stuck in the blades, then it will work much slower. So it is a must to keep the grinding elements clean. Take some ice cubes and rock salts which will help to clean the blade and remove the dirt easily. Then, put in the disposal and run cold water again for atleast 20 seconds. You can also use vinegar in the form of ice cubes. These particular items will clean the grinding elements properly.
- You can use lemon and orange to remove the bad smell coming from your disposal. You can use any kind of citrus rind. Just cut the lemon or orange into small pieces. Then put them in the sink. Again run cold water. Then turn on the switch. Run the machine until all the lemon and orange peels are shredded. You will have a natural and fresh smell in your kitchen, thus there won’t be any need for an air refreshner.
- You can also use a little bleach. Bleach is always not a good option, but it will help to kill the germs. So sometimes use a little bit bleach while cleaning your garbage disposal. Another product is borax which is a well-known product for cleaning. Take 3 or 4 tablespoons of borax and let it stay in the disposal for some time. Then turn on the machine with cold water running. The dirt will be gone. At last, you will have a neat and clean disposal.
I hope that you’ve enjoyed my article on how to clean your garbage disposal properly and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to leave a comment below! 🙂
Read Reviews for the Best Garbage Disposals