If you are thinking about buying a new garbage disposal, you must have met the terms, batch feed garbage disposal and continuous feed garbage disposal. What do these actually mean? What is the difference between batch feed and continuous feed garbage disposal?
Continuous Feed Vs Batch Feed Garbage Disposal
|Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal||Batch Feed Garbage Disposal
|Advantages||More Popular & more models are available in market||Safer option
|Less time consuming||Less Chance of Accidents
|More Convenient use||Not risky for homes with small children
|Disadvantages||Less safer than continuous feed disposals||More time consuming
These are the two types of garbage disposals available in the market. The main difference lies in the functionality. Many people say a batch feed is safer than the continuous feed. Other says Continuous feed is more popular and convenient. So, which one should you buy? It will be easier to decide when you know the what a continuous feed garbage disposal and a batch feed garbage disposal is.
What is a batch feed garbage disposal?
A garbage disposal eats up all the food substances you throw inside it. It works like a grinding machine inside the chamber. A garbage disposal holds swivel impellers that are sharp blades which spin in a high speed and breaks up the chunk of foods and make it easy to drain with the sewer line.
A batch feed garbage disposal simply grinds down the food waste in “batches.” Batch feed disposals come with a stopper. You need to put the waste inside your disposal unit and close it up with the stopper. Then turn the disposal on, and it will start processing the waste. So when the disposal is working, you cannot insert more waste into it. Once it is done working and turned off, you can throw the second batch.
- It is less popular with the users than continuous feed garbage disposals, but not less efficient. You can say it is a safer option. As I said, your disposal will turn on just when you cover it and turn it by yourself. So, there is no chance of accidents. If you have small children who can place their hand anywhere in your absence, you should be extra careful with your disposal unit.
- The risk of unwanted materials like plastic, paper, your hand jewelry or even cutleries can fell inside the disposal unit. This can cause severe harm to your disposal blades, that you may need to replace your whole disposal.
- A batch feed disposal is less popular because people think it as a less convenient option. Each time you need to dispose of something, you need to cover it up and turn it on. This can take a bit more time than a continuous feed.
- As Batch feed disposals are thought as time-consuming, it is less popular in the market. That is the reason why manufacturers make less batch feed disposals. There are a lot of variations available in the continuous feed, but not in the batch So, you do not have a lot of choice over batch feed garbage disposals.
- Thinking of convenience and saving time, one may think of filling the disposal with waste for a long time and then grind it up. But it may not be a healthy if one forgets to turn on the disposal and leave it like that overnight, it will begin decomposing and smell like hell. Insects and bacteria also can attack in that case.
- People with a very large family who needs lots of trash to dispose of, may not feel it as a convenient option. Because it takes more time than continuous feed to clean all the waste.
What is a continuous feed garbage disposal?
A continuous feed garbage disposal works continuously. It means, from when you turn it on, it runs continuously from then. You can put waste inside it and it will instantly start grinding. It does not come with any stopper. So when the waste is grinding inside the sink neck is not covered. You can continuously throw more waste while it is operating.
- Continuous disposals are very popular among all kind of users. It is less time consuming, as you don’t need to turn the switch on and off repeatedly.
- It is a more convenient option to process a lot amount of waste at a time. So, large families with lots of members may find it more useful.
- It is very easy to operate and maintain. You can instantly clean whatever waste occurs while cooking or washing dishes, no need to wait to fill up the chamber and then turn it on.
- Because of the popularity, you will find more options of continuous feed disposals in the market. It comes in many sizes and with different features that can be easier to choose from.
The one disadvantage that you will not find in batch feed disposal, but you will find in continuous is the safety issue. You may always be careful, but there is always a chance of something going accidentally inside your grinding chamber. If something metal or hard falls inside, the chamber while grinding it can totally ruin or even break your disposal.
Beside these few points, there is no more difference between batch feed and continuous feed garbage disposals. Both come in different powerful motors; both grind the food in the same way. You need to clean up both the disposals after a particular time. Regarding installation and replacements, both are similar. So the difference only lies in the disposing system.
If I am asked, which one is better among Continuous Feed Vs Batch Feed, I’ll say it depends on one’s preference. If safety is more concerned, then the batch feed is better; and if convenience is more important, then continuous feed it is.
Check Most Popular Garbage Disposals Here